One man, one vision.
One man, one vision.
In the early to mid-1800s, Quaker businessman and entrepreneur Josiah White grew in stature and in wealth as several of his larger business ventures became quite successful. Mr. White’s achievements included the construction of America’s second railroad line in 1827, the construction of the Delaware Canal in 1834 and the successful smelting of iron in 1840. During this period of success, Mr. White’s deep love for disadvantaged and orphaned children grew. Shortly before his passing in 1850, Mr. White drafted and funded through his will a plan to help “the most deserted of children.” His bequest founded what would become White’s Residential & Family Services. White’s has grown from its founding in 1850 to Indiana’s largest non-profit social services agency serving families and children, with nine offices around the state and a residential campus in Wabash, Indiana. From residential care, to foster care, to emergency shelter, home-based services, and adoption, White’s offers a continuum of care that can meet the needs of hurting children and families statewide—all because of one man’s vision and desire to help “the most deserted of children.”
1850 – Josiah White visits Indiana Yearly Meeting of Quakers to propose school.
1852 – 640 acres of land are purchased from Chief Meshingomeshia.
1882-1895 – Indian children are sent to White’s to be educated and taught to farm until the U.S. Government ceases such programs.
1905 – Bessie Latchem School is built. Rebecca White leaves $20,000 gift of Lehigh Coal and Navigation stock to the institute.
1929 – Stock market crash impacts White’s financials.
1938 – White’s exceeds 300 students in its care.
1939 – New gymnasium is built.
1953 – White’s Junior/Senior High School receives accreditation.
1955-1976 – Building phase on campus, with Roberta Hall (1955), White’s Chapel (1960), cafeteria (1965) and new school (1975) built over 20 years.
1985 – Foster care division of White’s begins.
1992 – Name changed to White’s Residential & Family Services, Inc.
1995 –$1.3 million fundraising campaign to construct Hodson Campus Center and renovate Robert M. Curless Activity Center launched.
1997 – Emergency Shelter Care program begins.
1998 – Hodson Center opens. Main Hall demolished. Home-Based Services program begins.
2001 – Chapel renovated and enlarged. Sesquicentennial is celebrated June 16. Alumni Reunion held June 17.
2007 – Expanded Hodson Campus center opens.
2009 – Credit Recovery program begins.